Thursday, August 9, 2007

All dressed up...

Mums ability to dress herself is variable. Some days she gets herself dressed and looks fine, on the outside. There may be missing garments underneath or too many layers. Some days she just is overwhelmed with even seeing her clothes laid out on the bed and can't even get started. She is nearly in tears with the choices.

Yesterday mum surprised me by walking out of her room fully dressed in her best clothes, hair, makeup, and jewellery with no help from me at all! It gave me a funny feeling to be truthful, she just looked like her old self, not like the little old confused lady I have been living with. Moments like that kind of stun me out of the blue.

It is winter here and she was dressed in summer clothes. After telling her how lovely she looked and removing the hairbrush tucked in the front of her bra I asked if she would like to wear something warmer?

Absolutely not!

No way could I coax her!

A coat or jacket perhaps?

Not interested one bit!

So off she went to day care looking resplendent in her summer clothes and bejewelled for an evening occasion! She insisted on taking her toiletry bag with her, the colours match her outfit.

There is not point trying to convince her that she needs to change her clothes, she was so happy with herself and the wonderful staff at the day care centre will find her a warm blanket, admire the toiletry bag and the dripping evening jewels and surround her with love and attention.

I could hug everyone of them! They are my lifesavers.

So mum had a wonderful day, got lots of compliments and came home very happy with herself. I have no idea what she thinks she had to dress up for but it was a joy to see her yesterday.

I love days like that...

3 comments:

Mr Mans Wife said...

Ahh, that's so lovely.

I can relate to both you and your mum in this post: you, because I know that feeling when Mr Man has washed, shaved, and changed his clothes without any prompting. And your mum, because (without wishing to trivialise your mothers suffering) I too have felt totally overwhelmed by choices at times - little things that most people wouldn't even think about. It's hard to explain what the confusion feels like. My usual response is to burst into tears and not make any choice at all.

elanor said...

yes its such a suprise sometimes when they do something that seems so ordinairy, it's difficult to explain the feeling..

I have been feeling like I can't make some decisions lately and things are starting to pile up, sometimes it can feel like the tiniest thing is just too much for me.

Gavin said...

It's summer here and Mom goes out in 90+F degree heat and high humidity with a sweatshirt on! I think their internal thermostats get out of whack.