Thursday, September 27, 2007

Moving on.

Well things are moving very fast. Yesterday I was contacted by one of the places I applied to and offered a place for mum. I was really surprised when I got the phone call. In the area that we live in it is quite common to wait 12-18 months for a bed.

Mum will be moving back to her old childhood town, about 4 hours away. She is really excited. When I told her she asked if we could by her some sunburn cream so she can go to the beach when she gets there. We are going down to look at it on Saturday and then if all is good, which I expect it will be, we will take it.

The following week she is due to have surgery so I will go and collect her and then take her back. She will be about 2.5 hours from that hospital. So it will be a huge round trip for me. We were at he doctors yesterday and the next week is a flurry of appointments, tests, and paperwork in order to get everything done on time.

I am so pleased that mum is happy and excited by this. It would be very difficult if she did not want to go. Her sister is also excited at having her so close. So hopefully this works out for everyone. It is also strange to think of mum not being here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will it be difficult to visit w/ mom 4 hrs. away -- are other family members close to the new location? Funny about the sunburn cream -- I've read some funny AD stories! Too bad there's so much sadness w/ AD also. D

elanor said...

I will probably and stay down there one weekend a month and talk to her on the phone a couple of times a week. Her sister lives close by and many of her old friends so she is excited to be near them again as really, thats where she goes in her mind a lot of the time, to those old memories.

This morning she has been rattling around in her cupboards and she has found a (very, very) old pair of swimmers and a sun hat! It's actually lovely to see her so excited so I am just enjoying with her as much as I can.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's great to hear! I hope all of the details work out. That's encouraging that she remembered that she was going. D

Penny Pincher said...

That's good - it all sounds postive.

A Single Man said...

I'm glad that mum is excited to go. What a relief that must be for you!

And I'm very glad that mum won't be in your home anymore...while I can only imagine the mixed feelings about this, I am glad that you and your family will get some rest and now time to be a family again.

And I think you're right: mum would want you to have a happy life with your family, to dream big, and to not be a burden to you and yours.

It's very sad tho'. I wish that I could talk with my old partner again...and he would say, "It's time to move on" as well. But the partner I have right now can't say that...he's too afraid.

I know that I will be sad when H has to go somewhere. And I also know that I will feel great relief as I can get back to being his loving partner and not his caregiver. And I will have great excitement (and fear I think) as I take my life off "hold."

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that there's an award for you on my blog! D
http://deeshadowblog.blogspot.com/