Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Back to Hospital next week.

Mum has to go back to hospital next week for a minor procedure. Minor for her, major for me! Even though it is only day surgery we need to go down the night before as the hospital is 4 hours away.

I am so fortunate to have such a great workplace as I need to ask for time off again. I have taken almost 3 months off work over the past 9 months to care for mum and yet they still keep my job open for me. I am so very grateful for a good and understanding boss.

So yesterday was spent making phone calls, cancelling all the my clients and arranging pre-admission tests. I am glad that we are going to get it over with but I am really tired of it all. Two days ago I managed to sleep in till 5 am, it was just heavenly!

Mum is up at 2-3 am every day no matter what I try to change it. By mid afternoon at work I am exhausted. That's the latest & longest I have slept since October last year.

I am glad to have this blog so I can vent a bit, but also I want to give a true picture of what it's like to care for a parent with dementia in your own home. There are some very magic moments that I so glad I have had with mum, but it's not all beer and skittles!

I feel better for having made my decision to place mum in care. I have put in applications to six homes and I am waiting to hear back. I know that I could be waiting quite a while.

No comments: