Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Keeping up appearances!

Mum has lately been paying a great deal of attention to her fingernails. She wanted some nail polish so she chose a bright pink colour and now she paints her nails twice a day!

In the morning after she is dressed and waiting to go she sits and paints them. She takes the bottle of nail polish with her to day care and apparently puts more polish on there. In the evening she will either add another coat or sit and pick it off. When she allows it, we remove it and let her start over.

My husband was surprised by all this recent attention she is giving to her nails as he has never known her to be like this. When I was a kid she was very fastidious about having her hair and nails done. They were always beautifully manicured and she went to the hairdressers every week for a set. I used to love to sit and watch them tease her hair up into a beehive (the 60's!). They would add hairpieces and incredible amounts of hairspray to keep it all together. Then every night she would wrap her hairdo in a silk scarf to try and make it last.

I guess that's where she is this week, back in the days of caring about her looks and taking pride in her appearance. Much like the mum I grew up with. I am enjoying her latest pastime, it is harmless and she is happy.

2 comments:

Mr Mans Wife said...

That's so lovely. I think it's great that you recognise why she goes through these little phases and you just let her do it.

*Mr Mans Wife stops typing for a moment and looks at her nails...*

I know I owe you an email. I'm sorry about that. I will do it soon! I promise!

elanor said...

Hi mmw,
don't worry about the late email, I really understand how busy it gets and how hard it is to keep us with what looks pretty simple to others.

I have so many things to catch up on, most of them would only take ashort time, but there are just more things to do than time in the day so I just do the best I can. cheers