Sunday, July 15, 2007

Welcome

Hello and welcome to my online diary...

My mother has early onset Alzheimer's Disease and she lives with me and my family. I am her carer. I have worked in health for many years including working in Dementia Units. Now I am like any other daughter caring for her mum. I am my mothers mother.

Recently I made the decision to stop working full-time and reduce my hours to 20 a week. The strain of caring is taking it's toll. I have reached a point where I want to simplify my life and enjoy the time we have left together.

Mums diagnosis has turned my life upside down. So many plans that I had are now not possible. The future I imagined is gone. I have so many different feelings about this experience. Although caring was thrust upon me, now I have chosen to be a carer. There is a difference.

As I enter this next stage of my life I have decided to keep an online diary. I have often found the process of writing to be therapeutic. I would also like to connect with others who have chosen caring and who can respect my choice, not judge it.

I welcome you to my diary...

the diary of a carer...
Elanor

4 comments:

Mr Mans Wife said...

Hi, I found you through MyBlogLog. Thanks for looking at my blog :)

But about that last comment... people judge you for being a carer?

Ian Denny said...

Well done for starting the blog. I think you will find comfort and support from it. Although I'm going through a very different challenge, it is a difficult one.

I have found a blog a great way of letting off steam.

I wish you well on your jounrey and hope you can find some comfort form others.

I suspect there's a whole community for you out there, so just got to go and find it and participate

elanor said...

hi and thanks for the comments,

yes I have been told by most people that I should put my mother in a home and get on with my own life. Friends think I am throwing away career prospects.
I believe that there is more to life than a career.

Mr Mans Wife said...

Right, yes, I see what you mean now. I have had the same reactions and I care for my husband!

I have the greatest respect for you; so many others would have put their parent in a home. I'm proud to say that my Nan was cared for by family members at her home until her death, and I hope in the future I can say the same for my own mother.